What is Personal Information?
What Personal Information Do We Collect?
We collect and maintain different types of personal information in respect of the individuals with whom we interact. This includes:
- contact and identification information, such as your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address;
- product and service-related information concerning the products and services that we provide to, or receive from, you;
- credit and financial information such as your payment preferences; and
- business relationship information, including information related to your agreements, preferences, advisors and decision-makers, feedback and information requested by or provided to you.
We may also collect market-related information, which may include personal information, concerning market trends and activities impacting our business. This information may include contract terms, financial information and other information for the purpose of market analysis and strategic planning. We may also collect information related to our media, investor and public relations activities and information related to our interactions with financial and other analysts and advisors.
Generally, OM collects personal information directly from you. In most circumstances where a third party holds the personal information that we collect about you, we will obtain your permission before we seek out this information from such sources (such permission may be given directly by you, or implied from your actions).
From time to time, we may utilize the services of third parties in our business and may also receive personal information collected by those third parties during the performance of their services for us or otherwise. Where this is the case, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that such third parties have represented to us that they have the right to disclose your personal information to us.
Where permitted or required by applicable law or regulatory requirements, we may collect information about you without your knowledge or consent.
Why Do We Collect Personal Information?
OM collects personal information to enable us to manage, maintain, and develop our business and operations, including:
- to establish, maintain and manage our relationship with you so that we may provide you with, or receive from you, the products and services that have been requested;
- to be able to review the products and services that we provide to you so that we may understand your requirements for our products and services and so that we may work to improve our products and services;
- to be able to review the products and services that we obtain from you so that we may work with you and so that you may understand our requirements for such products and services;
- to be able to comply with your requests (for example, if you prefer to be contacted at a business or residential telephone number and advise us of your preference, we will use this information to contact you at that number);
- to protect us against error, fraud, theft and damage to our goods and property;
- to enable us to comply with applicable law or regulatory process; and
- any other reasonable purpose to which you consent.
How Do We Use and Disclose Your Personal Information?
We may use or disclose your personal information:
- for any additional purposes for which we have obtained your consent to the use or disclosure of your personal information.
We may use or disclose your personal information without your knowledge or consent where we are permitted or required by applicable law or regulatory requirements to do so.
When do we Disclose Your Personal Information?
We may share your personal information with our employees, contractors, consultants, and other parties who require such information to assist us with managing our relationship with you, including: third parties that provide services to us or on our behalf; third parties that assist OM in the provision of services to you; and third parties whose services we use to conduct our business.
Further, your personal information may be disclosed:
- as permitted or required by applicable law or regulatory requirements;
- to comply with valid legal processes such as search warrants, subpoenas or court orders;
- as part of OM’s regular reporting activities to its affiliates;
- to protect the rights and property of OM;
- during emergency situations or where necessary to protect the safety of a person or group;
- where personal information is publicly available or with your consent.
Your Consent is Important to Us
It is important to us that we collect, use or disclose your personal information where we have your consent to do so. Depending on the sensitivity of the personal information, your consent may be implied, deemed (using an opt-out mechanism) or express. Express consent can be given orally, electronically or in writing. Implied consent is consent that can reasonably be inferred from your action or inaction. For example, when you enter into an agreement with us, we will assume your consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information for purposes related to the performance of that agreement and for any other purposes identified to you at the relevant time.
As we have described above, we may collect, use or disclose your personal information without your knowledge or consent where we are permitted or required to do so by applicable law or regulatory requirements.
You may change or withdraw your consent at any time, subject to legal or contractual obligations and reasonable notice, by contacting our Privacy Officer using the contact information set out below. All communications with respect to such withdrawal or variation of consent should be in writing and addressed to our Privacy Officer.
How is Your Personal Information Protected?
OM endeavours to maintain physical, technical and procedural safeguards that are appropriate to the sensitivity of the personal information in question. These safeguards are designed to prevent your personal information from loss and unauthorized access, copying, use, modification or disclosure.
Updating Your Personal Information
It is important that the information contained in our records is both accurate and current. If your personal information happens to change during the course of our relationship, please keep us informed of such changes.
In some circumstances, we may not agree with your request to change your personal information and will instead append an alternative text to the record in question.
Access to Your Personal Information
You can ask to see your personal information. If you want to review, verify or correct your personal information, please get in touch with our Privacy Officer. Please note that any such communication must be in writing.
When requesting access to your personal information, please note that we may request specific information from you to enable us to confirm your identity and right to access, as well as to search for and provide you with the personal information that we hold about you. We may charge you a fee to access your personal information; however, we will advise you of any fee in advance. If you require assistance in preparing your request, please get in touch with the office of our Privacy Officer.
Your right to access the personal information that we hold about you is not absolute. There are instances where applicable law or regulatory requirements allow or require us to refuse to provide some or all the personal information that we hold about you. In addition, the personal information may have been destroyed, erased or made anonymous in accordance with our record retention obligations and practices.
In the event that we cannot provide you with access to your personal information, we will endeavour to inform you of the reasons why, subject to any legal or regulatory restrictions.
Inquiries or Concerns?
You may not interfere with the security of, or otherwise abuse this Web site or any system resources, services or networks connected to or accessible through this Web site. You may only use this Web site for lawful purposes.
We strive to ensure that visitors to www.openingminds.org have the best possible experience on our website. However, we recognize that developing applications that work identically, efficiently and effectively on all web browsers is impossible.
The OM website is optimized to function best using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and any other current web browser.
Mobile Devices and Tablets
This site supports browsing from a mobile or tablet device. Content is sized and displayed based on your device’s screen resolution and other display attributes. Content is served and formatted specifically for these devices.
Visit the links below to download the latest version of your favourite browser:
Information Purposes Only
THIS WEB SITE DOES NOT CONTAIN NOR PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE.
The Materials are provided for informational purposes only. The Materials do not and are not intended to replace medical consultations or to provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek appropriate medical advice with your personal medical and health questions. DO NOT ignore or dismiss appropriate medical advice due to your interpretation or understanding of the Materials. Call 911 immediately if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
All materials (including the organization and presentation of such material) on this Web site (the “Materials”) are the property of OM and its licensors and may be protected by intellectual property laws, including laws relating to copyrights, trademarks, trade-names, internet domain names and other similar rights.
The Materials may only be used and copied for your own, non-commercial, personal or educational purposes, provided that the Materials are not modified, and that copyright and other intellectual property notices are not deleted. You may not create derivative works from or otherwise exploit the Materials in any way. Unless you have entered into a separate agreement with OM, any other use of these Materials without OM’s written permission is prohibited.
© (2024) Opening Minds. All rights reserved.
Currency of Web site
OM updates the information on this Web site periodically. However, OM cannot guarantee or accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, currency or completeness of the information on this Web site. OM may revise, supplement or delete information, services and/or the resources contained in this Web site and reserves the right to make such changes without prior notification to past, current or prospective visitors.
Linked Web sites
The Collaborative Spaces within the OM Web site may provide links to third party Web sites for your convenience only. The inclusion of these links does not imply that OM monitors or endorses these Web sites. OM does not accept any responsibility for such Web sites. OM shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss, caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance upon any information, content, goods or services available on or through any third party Web sites or linked resources.
Internet software or computer viruses
Due to technical difficulties with the Internet, Internet software or transmission problems could produce inaccurate or incomplete copies of information contained on this Web site. Computer viruses or other destructive programs may also be inadvertently downloaded from this Web site.
OM shall not be responsible or liable for any software, computer viruses or other destructive, harmful or disruptive files or programs that may infect or otherwise impact your use of your computer equipment or other property on account of your access to, use of, or browsing on this Web site or your downloading of any of the Materials from this Web site. OM recommends that you install appropriate anti-virus or other protective software.
Web Site and Materials Provided “As Is”
THIS WEB SITE AND THE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT REPRESENTATION, WARRANTY OR CONDITION OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. OM DOES NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT THAT THIS WEB SITE OR THE MATERIALS WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR THAT THEIR USE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR FREE.
Limitation of liability
YOU ASSUME ALL RESPONSIBILITY AND RISK FOR USE OF THIS WEB SITE AND THE MATERIALS INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY OF THE INFORMATION CONTAINED THEREIN.
SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW FOR THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
Feel free to email OM at firstname.lastname@example.org. However, the Internet is not a fully secure medium and any communication may be lost, intercepted, or altered. OM is not liable for any damages related to communications to or from this Web site. You agree with respect to any information provided by you to us through this Web site or via e-mail that:
- OM has no obligation concerning such information;
- the information is non-confidential;
- OM may use, disclose, distribute or copy the information and may use any ideas, concepts or know-how contained in the information for any purpose; and
- the information is truthful and disclosure of the information does not violate the legal rights of others.
This Web site is controlled, operated and administered by OM from within the Province of Ontario, Canada. This Web site can be accessed from all provinces and territories of Canada, as well as from other countries around the world. As each of these jurisdictions has laws that may differ from those of the Province of Ontario, by accessing this Web site, you acknowledge and agree that all matters relating to access to or use of this Web site shall be governed by the laws of the Province of Ontario and the federal laws of Canada applicable therein (without reference to conflicts of laws principles).
You also agree that any claims or disputes whatsoever arising hereunder shall be submitted to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the Province of Ontario and acknowledge that you do so voluntarily.
This acceptable use policy sets out the terms between you and us under which you may access our website http:// www.openingminds.org. This acceptable use policy applies to all users of, and visitors to, our site.
Your use of our site means that you accept, and agree to abide by, all the policies in this acceptable use policy, which supplement our terms of website use.
http:// www.openingminds.org is a site operated by the Mental Health Commission of Canada (“We”). We are registered in the Province of Ontario in Canada.
You may use our site only for lawful purposes. You may not use our site:
- In any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation.
- In any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect.
- For the purpose of harming or attempting to harm minors in any way.
- To send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any material which does not comply with our content standards.
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam).
- To knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.
You also agree:
- Not to reproduce, duplicate, copy or re-sell any part of our site in contravention of the provisions of our terms of website use.
- Not to access without authority, interfere with, damage or disrupt:
- any part of our site;
- any equipment or network on which our site is stored;
- any software used in the provision of our site; or
- any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third party.
We may, from time to time, provide interactive services on our site, including, without limitation:
- Online Collaborative Spaces;
- Social Media Forums (including Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube).
- Other interactive services.
Where we do provide any interactive service, we will provide clear information to you about the kind of service offered, if it is moderated, and what form of moderation is used (including whether it is human or technical).
We will do our best to assess any possible risks for users (and in particular, for children) from third parties when they use any interactive service provided on our site, and we will decide in each case whether it is appropriate to use moderation of the relevant service (including what kind of moderation to use) in the light of those risks. However, we are under no obligation to oversee, monitor or moderate any interactive service we provide on our site, and we expressly exclude our liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of any interactive service by a user in contravention of our content standards, whether the service is moderated or not.
The use of any of our interactive services by a minor is subject to the consent of their parent or guardian. We advise parents who permit their children to use an interactive service that it is important that they communicate with their children about their safety online, as moderation is not foolproof. Minors who are using any interactive service should be made aware of the potential risks to them.
Where we do moderate an interactive service, we will normally provide you with a means of contacting the moderator, should a concern or difficulty arise.
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it. All contributions are publicly accessible unless otherwise stated.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
- Be accurate (where they state facts).
- Be genuinely held (where they state opinions).
- Comply with applicable law in Canada and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
- Contain any material which is defamatory of any person.
- Contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory.
- Promote sexually explicit material.
- Promote violence.
- Promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age.
- Infringe any copyright, database right or trademark of any other person.
- Be likely to deceive any person.
- Be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence.
- Promote any illegal activity.
- Be threatening, abuse or invade another´s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety.
- Be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person.
- Be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person.
- Give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case.
- Advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Suspension and termination
We will determine, in our discretion, whether there has been a breach of this acceptable use policy through your use of our site. When a breach of this policy has occurred, we may take such action as we deem appropriate.
Failure to comply with this acceptable use policy constitutes a material breach of the terms of website use upon which you are permitted to use our site, and may result in our taking all or any of the following actions:
- Immediate, temporary or permanent withdrawal of your right to use our site.
- Immediate, temporary or permanent removal of any posting or material uploaded by you to our site.
- Issue of a warning to you.
- Legal proceedings against you for reimbursement of all costs on an indemnity basis (including, but not limited to, reasonable administrative and legal costs) resulting from the breach.
- Further legal action against you.
- Disclosure of such information to law enforcement authorities as we reasonably feel is necessary.
We exclude liability for actions taken in response to breaches of this acceptable use policy. The responses described in this policy are not limited, and we may take any other action we reasonably deem appropriate.
Changes to the acceptable use policy
We may revise this acceptable use policy at any time by amending this page. You are expected to check this page from time to time to take notice of any changes we make, as they are legally binding on you. Some of the provisions contained in this acceptable use policy may also be superseded by provisions or notices published elsewhere on our site.
Your comments and posts should be relevant to mental health and mental wellness and/or to other content posted on the OM social media channel visited. You are encouraged to stay on topic in each thread and respect others who interact with the OM on social media.
OM encourages you to submit your questions, comments, and concerns; however, the OM’s social media accounts are considered moderated and not public forums.
Once posted, OM reserves the right to delete submissions that contain:
- vulgar language;
- stigmatizing language;
- personal/corporate attacks of any kind;
- offensive comments that target or disparage.
Further, OM also reserves the right to delete comments that are:
- spam or include links to other sites;
- clearly off-topic;
- advocate illegal activity;
- promote services, products or political organizations;
- infringe on copyrights or trademarks;
- include personally identifiable information.
We reserve the right to monitor, block, delete or discontinue your access to any of the OM social media accounts at any time, without notice and for any reason and in our sole discretion.
By posting content on any of the OM social media channels, you grant us the irrevocable right to reproduce, distribute, publish and display such content and the right to create derivative works from your content, edit or modify such content and use such content for any OM purpose.
To remain in compliance, we suggest that you review this policy, as well as the other website policies, at regular intervals. By continuing to use after such new terms are posted, you accept and agree to any and all such modifications to this policy.
Please note that the comments expressed on OM social media channels do not reflect OM. If you have any questions concerning the operation of OM social media channels, please get in touch with email@example.com.
We may use first-party, analytics, and third-party cookies on our Site. First-party and analytics cookies are set and maintained by us, while third-party cookies are maintained by external companies.
Our first-party cookies are used to store your preferences so that you don’t have toenter them every time you visit our Site. They also make our Site more functional.
Analytics cookies may be used internally for our research and are not shared with any third-parties. Their purpose is to aid in improving our Site and services to you. These cookies assess how you interact with our Site. The information we collect is de-identified.
We may engage third-parties to monitor and analyze the use of our Sites. For example, we use Google Analytics to track, monitor and report on traffic to our Site. Google may track information such as your IP address, the type of web browser being used, and pages visited on our Site. Any such third-party cookies are governed by the respective terms of service and privacy policies of those providers. For more information on how Google Analytics collects and processes information, please visit Google’s site “How Google uses data when you use our partners’ sites or apps” located at www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/.
You can delete all cookies that are already on your device by clearing your browserhistory. You can also disable cookies being stored on your device; however, this may affect the functionality of our Site and other sites you have visited. These settings are found in the “settings” section of your browser.
Be aware that clearing your browser history will clear all the cookies for all the sites you have visited, even those where you have opted in. You may also lose saved login information and preferences for other websites.