Mental Health First Aid Supporting Youth
The course is designed for members of the public who have frequent contact with young people (ages 12 to 24), for example, parents and guardians, school staff, sports coaches, and youth workers.
This course is most relevant in situations when it is first becoming apparent to an adult that a young person in their family, classroom, or other network is developing a mental health problem. However, the course also provides some useful information on how to assist a young person who has a history of a mental illness or longer-term mental health and/or substance use problems, as well as how to support a young person in crisis.
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is the help provided to a person who is showing signs of declining mental well-being or crisis. “MHFA – Supporting Youth” is a course designed for members of the public who have frequent contact with young people (ages 12 to 24).
Participants will learn how to:
- recognize signs that a young person may be experiencing a decline in their mental well-being or a mental health or substance use crisis
- initiate conversations that encourage a young person to talk about a mental health or substance use problem
- discuss professional and other supports that could help with recovery to improved mental well-being
- assist in a mental health or substance use crisis situation
- check in with one’s own mental well-being and take action as needed
Method of Instruction
This 10-hour course opens with a self-directed module (Module 1) that focuses on the information and strategies that participants will discuss and practise throughout the virtual classroom modules (Modules 2 and 3). Module 1 takes up to 2 hours to complete while Modules 2 and 3 are 4 hours in length each, including breaks.
Upon registration, participants will receive the “MHFA – Supporting Youth Participant Reference Guide” that outlines MHFA actions for developing mental health and substance use problems, and mental health and substance use crises
UPCOMING COURSES ACROSS CANADA
Interested in mental wellness training?
We have upcoming courses fit for your needs and in formats that work with your life.
Search our courses
Looking for more information before making a decision?
Our Impact at Work