MHFA Standard – Facilitator Certification Training
Facilitator Certification Training (FCT) is designed to familiarize participants with the unique requirements of facilitating MHFA courses.
Profile of an MHFA Standard Facilitator
Over 800 Canadians are active MHFA Standard facilitators. They are:
- in every province and territory
- mostly delivering the course as part of their job; and
- very active, with over 2,500 courses delivered every year
As an MHFA Standard course facilitator you:
- may deliver the MHFA Standard course to the Canadian public in English or French
- may deliver the course on behalf of your organization or as an independent operator
- will be supported by the MHFA Canada team; and
- will have access to course updates and materials
The Facilitator Certification Training (FCT) is designed to familiarize participants with the unique requirements of facilitating the MHFA courses and help adjust their current practices to address these. Upon completion of this FCT, you will be able to deliver virtually the MHFA Standard course.
The goals of the FCT are to:
- familiarize participants with the Mental Health Commission of Canada’s mandate and programs and how our courses are linked to these
- introduce the “Facilitator Skills and Competencies Framework” that is used to screen, train, and assess course facilitators
- discuss adult learning principles and facilitation strategies as these relate to the facilitation of courses
- provide a forum to practice facilitating topics in a virtual classroom and receive feedback
- prepare participants to address the course administration and logistical requirements of facilitators
The FCT is a blended program consisting of five sessions identified in the table below. Each session addresses one of the five key skills required of MHFA facilitators. These skills are addressed through group discussions, practical exercises, and practice sessions. Participants receive feedback and coaching along the way in preparation for the final assessment, which includes:
- Practical Assessment: An assessment of facilitation skills whereby participants facilitate a topic from the MHFA course
- Written Assessment: A knowledge check of the key concepts and strategies presented in the FCT
|Self-paced, online||1: Prepare to facilitate||This opening to the FCT must be completed prior to “MHFA Course Demonstration – Module 1.”||2 hours|
|Self-paced, online||MHFA Course Demonstration – Module 1 (self-paced)||This opening module to the MHFA course must be completed before attending “Day 1 – Virtual classroom.”||1-2 hours|
|Day 1 – Virtual classroom||MHFA Course Demonstration – Module 2-3 (virtual classrooms)||Participate in a demonstration of the MHFA virtual classroom modules||7.5 hours|
|Day 2 – Virtual classroom||2: Create a welcoming and safe learning environment||Participate in a virtual classroom||7.5 hours|
|Day 3 – Virtual classroom||3: Engage participants and foster learning||Participate in a virtual classroom||7.5 hours|
|Day 4 – Virtual classroom||4: Assess learning and give and receive feedback||Day 2 – Virtual classroom||7.5 hours|
|Day 5 – Virtual classroom||Practical Assessment||Facilitate an MHFA topic and observe others facilitate a topic||6 hours|
|Day 6 – webinar||5: Adhere to logistical and administrative requirements and closing of FCT.||Participate in a virtual classroom||1.5 hours|
|Self-paced, online||Written assessment||Complete after the “Day 6 – Virtual classroom” and a successful practical assessment||.5 hours|
FCT Selection Process
Those interested in participating in the FCT program are required to go through a selection process. This process includes a written application. Applicants submit their application outlining (1) why they are interested in becoming an MHFA facilitator and (2) their credentials with the selection criteria (outlined below).
Along with the application form, you must provide your résumé and a letter of support from your organization or two reference letters if applying as an independent/self-employed facilitator.
Minimum requirements for participating in the FCT for MHFA courses:
- Minimum 2 years working front-line in mental health and/or substance use sectors (paid or volunteer) within the last ten years
- Demonstrated success (paid or volunteer) with facilitating group discussions, training, and/or giving presentations to groups of 8 or more
- Knowledge of the range of mental health services
- Positive attitudes towards people with mental health problems
- Enthusiasm to reduce stigma/discrimination associated with mental illness
- Proficiency in computer programs such as PowerPoint and Excel, and must have an email address, strong internet connection, and access to a computer.
- Knowledge of delivery platforms such as Zoom or MS Teams
MHFA Canada Master Trainers
An MHFA Master Trainer is responsible for guiding candidates through their weeklong course to become an MHFA facilitator. Master Trainers demonstrate effective course delivery, assign sections of the course to be delivered by candidates, and provide constructive feedback and assessment of their performance. Ultimately, the Master Trainer determines whether a candidate has the proficiency required to be an effective MHFA facilitator.
Our Master Trainers have varied life experiences, and each has a base of knowledge and awareness of mental health that makes them valuable and impactful mentors through the MHFA facilitator training course.
Cost of Training
The cost of the MHFA Standard FCT is $3,250 (plus applicable taxes). This includes access to the learning management system for the pre-work, the five-day training, and the day 6 webinar, a Facilitator Resource Kit, and after-training support from MHFA Canada, namely:
- Access to the Facilitator’s online portal
- New and updated resources
- Discussions with other facilitators
- Updated course materials
- Updated administrative forms
- All courses are posted on the mhfa.ca website
- Facilitator profile posted on the mhfa.ca website
- Ongoing program evaluation
- Support from the MHFA Canada team
Course fees are paid by credit card upon successful review of the application.
A fee of $500 is charged for cancellations received four weeks in advance of the course date. A fee of $1,000 is charged for cancellations received less than four weeks in advance. No refund will be made if notice is received after the course date- or the registrant does not show up for the course (including pre-course work).
MHFA facilitators must adhere to all clauses listed in the MHFA Facilitator Agreement. This includes:
- meeting minimum annual requirements to maintain certified status
- three courses per year and ongoing refresher activities
- maintaining fidelity to the MHFA course content and delivery as presented during the MHFA facilitator training course
- adhering to provincial and national privacy laws as it regards the collection of personal information from participants
- meeting administrative requirements both before and after course delivery
UPCOMING COURSES ACROSS CANADA
Interested in mental wellness training?
We have upcoming courses fit for your needs and in formats that work with your life.
Search our courses
Looking for more information before making a decision?
Our Impact at Work